Pages

Monday, December 3, 2012

Traditions



Boy and I are getting our Christmas tree tonight, and this will be my first real tree since living in my parents’ home.  Now don’t get me wrong, I had my fair share of fake trees in college dorms and community houses, but a real tree in my own home . . . to say I’m ecstatic would be an understatement.  Growing up, my mom put up eight (that’s right, 8!) Christmas trees in our home. When I told Philip this, his jaw dropped, and I think he was slightly terrified of what traditions could transpire in the coming years.  I don’t plan on setting up eight Christmas trees, but I do love many of the traditions my parents introduced to us children, and I am so looking forward to creating traditions of our own. Here are some traditions from my childhood . . .

*Baking oodles of cookies and giving them as presents to our friends and extended family

*Attending our church’s candlelight service on Christmas Eve

*Putting on a ‘talent show’ at our family’s Christmas gathering. My mom always made my sister and I play carols on the piano, which I publicly hated, but secretly loved.  

*Reading the story of Christ’s birth as we sipped coffee and hot cocoa in the wee hours of Christmas morning before opening gifts

What are some of your holiday traditions?

(photo via) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...